Ode to a Firefighter
"If Prometheus was worthy
of the wrath of heaven for kindling the
first fire upon the earth, how ought the
Gods to honour the men who risk their
lives to put the fire out?"
- The Last Alarm
My father was a fireman, He drove a big red truck
- and when he'd go to work each day he'd say, "Mother wish me
- Then Dad would not come home again 'till sometime the next day.
- But the thing that bothered me the most was the thing's some folks would
- "A fireman's life is easy, he eats and sleeps and plays,
- and sometimes he won't fight a fire for days and days."
- When I first heard these words I was too young to understand
- but I knew when people had trouble Dad was there to lend a hand.
- Then my father went to work one day and kissed us all goodbye
- but little did we realize that night we all would cry.
- My father lost his life that night when the floor gave way below
- and I'd wondered why he'd risk his life for someone he did not know.
- But now I truly realize the greatest gift a man can give
- is to lay his life upon the line so that someone else might live.
- So as we go from day to day and we pray to God above
- say a prayer for your local fireman.
- He may save the one's you love.
- -unknown author.
- The Firefighters Prayer
When I'm called to duty God wherever flames may rage
- give me strength to save a life whatever be its age.
- Help me to embrace a little child before it is to late
- or to save an older person from the horror of his fate
- Enable me to be alert to hear the weakest shout
- and quickly and efficiently to put the fire out
- I want to fill my calling to give the best in me
- to guard my neighbors life and protect his property
- And if according to your will I have to loose my life
- bless with your protecting hand my children and my wife.